Crown Inn, Asfordby
Members met at the above inn before commencing on their weekly walk. The front of the building looks as though it might be a converted house. In fact this was an eighteenth century coaching inn. We were made most welcome and at the end of the walk a two course meal for £7.50p was enjoyed.
The short walk of approximately three miles, commenced along Main Street towards Melton Mowbray. A footpath was taken on the right hand side of the road to the village of Kirby Bellars. The church of St. Peter dominates the local landscape. It has an impressive tower and has an ashlar spire with low broaches, early 1300 hundreds.
This picture was taken from the bank of the River Wreake. Washdyke Lane afforded us access to the village. Passing over the river we found evidence of the old canal created by the Melton Mowbray Navigation. Two locks were installed in the late 1790’s and the canal was closed in 1877. The second lock is at Asfordby which we also saw. A visit to the church was made. Ironstone tower, worn by the weather. A notice advised us of the theft of lead from the roof of the church. Our walk continued through meadow land, carpeted by buttercups before crossing between the lakes on our way to Asfordby. The site of the Old Asfordby mill was inspected before walking along Pump Lane and Main Street.