Our walk started from the “Crown Inn”, Appleby Magna. The church of St. Michaels and all angels can be seen.
St. Michaels and all Angels church
The walk commenced on a footpath through the car park of the “Crown Inn” (just to the front of the white tables). Crossing a small brook we turned left through the grounds of the Moat House. This is a grade 11 listed building dating back to medieval England. George and Joyce De Appleby lived at the house. George was slain in the battle of Musselborough Field, Scotland (1547). Joyce was burned at the steak at Lichfield for failing to adhere to the Roman Catholic religion in the reign of Queen Mary 1st (1553-1558).
The picture above far right is of the dovecote in the garden of the Moat House below.
Leaving the village we walked across prairie fields of rye grass which is used for hay making and bedding for animals. We noticed at Cottage Farm a grass landing strip for a micro light plane had been laid out and later on the walk we saw it fly above our heads. We continued down the farm drive to Norton Juxta Twycross and stopped at the village hall for refreshments. Following on a photograph of the group was taken against the background of wisteria.
Arriving back at Appleby Magna we walked through the village to the Sir. John Moore school built in 1697 based on the design of Sir Christopher Wren. Sir John became Lord Mayor of London in 1681 during the reign of Charles the second.
Sir John Moore school